Re: [Xen-devel] "Time went backwards" messages

To: Don Fry <brazilnut@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] "Time went backwards" messages
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:28:15 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 08:25:00 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 5 Apr 2005, at 00:40, Don Fry wrote:

I have a high end IBM system with 4 HT CPUs, am running xen-unstable
with only Dom0 active, and I get lots of "Timer ISR/n: Time went
backwards" messages.  This is a short segment from dmesg:

The errors are coming from the per-vcpu timer interrupt that is only used in SMP guest builds. I can well imagine there are some 'latent correctness issues' around that code. :-) If you get messages starting 'Timer ISR: Time went backwards' then that would be morew worrying.

I looked at the archives and noticed this was reported when running
under VMware, but I see this happening with only xen and dom0.

That was a different issue, most likely.

Are there any plans to restore Cyclone or HPET support to linux, and add
it to xen, to eliminate this kind of problem?

I have some prototype cyclone code added to xen, but have not done
anything to Linux yet.

Do HPET/Cyclone actually give greater long-term accuracy than the legacy PIT? The only thing we use the non-local-APIC timer for is to track wallclock time, so if the timers are driven off the same crystal then it doesn't seem there will be a win.

As I recall the HPET allows you to do things like set events to a precision of picoseconds, but it wasn't clear to me it was actually any more accurate than the PIT. :-) And we can always accumulate the lost precision in setting the PIT registers and periodically add it into the wallclock time.

I have no problem with HPET/Cyclone code in Xen *if* it buys us anything.

 -- Keir

--
Don Fry
brazilnut@xxxxxxxxxx