RE: [Xen-devel] problem with netfront.c

To: "Ling, Xiaofeng" <xiaofeng.ling@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] problem with netfront.c
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:33:41 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:34:08 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Using grant tables, the front end doesn't need to know
> about machine
> > addresses, and the whole thing ends up rather cleaner,
> particulary for
> > domains running with virtualized VMs.
> Yes, there do have security problem to use machine address in
> netfront.

It's not actually a security problem, but using mfns is a bit ugly.

> I'm originally  thinking that we can pass virtual address to
> backend through the ring buffer and let the backend to set
> the mapping for the frontend.
> I've already done a blkfront module driver in unmodified
> linux with an event channel channel  and ctrlif module
> driver.

Great.

> I'll wait for the new blkfront with grant table. For
> netfront, if no one has worked on the grant table update, I
> can do it together.

I've attached the patch that updates the grant tables code and switches
the blk dev over to use it.

It would be great if you could workup something similar up for the
netfront/back.

Thanks,
Ian