RE: [Xen-devel] fsck.reiserfs problem

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

Anyone seen this before? from fsck.reiserfs on boot under xenU
2.0-testing latest bk:
get_dma_info failed Bad file descriptor
###########
reiserfsck --check started at Thu Mar 17 12:32:18 2005
###########
Replaying journal..
Reiserfs journal '/dev/hda2' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions
replayed
bwrite: write 4096 bytes returned -1 (block=16, dev=3): Operation not
permitted

It's happening at boot time on my /usr which is read-only.
I'm guessing
that's the problem based on the output, but how do people
normally work
around this when they try to reuse their /usr as read-only?  It's
preventing me from booting normally.

The file system is currently not in a clean state. If you fsck it from
dom0 and then make sure you only ever mount it read-only in dom0, you
should be able to get it back to a clean state, and then it should work
OK bexing exported read-only to other domains.

Ah, sharing a block device between domains! - I didn't realise what Paul
Larson was trying to do when I read the first message.

If the filesystem is already mounted read-only on dom0, there is no point in fscking it because it must be clean, so just disable autofsck in /etc/fstab.

If the filesystem is mounted read-write on dom0 - don't do that! It won't work!

Networked/clustered filesystems are the recommended way to share block devices between domains, of course.

--
Robin