RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Live Migration and Bridge Settings

To: "Christopher Boumenot" <boumenot@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Live Migration and Bridge Settings
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:48:50 -0000
Cc: <ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:50:16 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > How are your various machines interconnected? Are they all
> on the same
> > subnet (via an Ethernet switch), or are they routed?
> >

> All of the hosts are connected through a switch, and they are
> all on the same subnet.

In which case the unsolicited ARP response shouldn't be necessary -- the
Ethernet switch should reconfigure as soon as it sees the VM's MAC
address active on another port (assuming you're using bridging within
each dom0 rather than routing).

I have seen some crappy Ethernet switches that react badly to MAC
addresses moving, but most work fine.

What happens if you migrate a domain that is running a ping? Does the
act of it sending packets cause the switch to reconfigure quicker?

Also, are you giving the -l option to migrate?

Ian