[Xen-devel] RE: trying to get vmware working inside xen0 or xenU

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] RE: trying to get vmware working inside xen0 or xenU
From: "William (Andy) Smith" <romaq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:13:34 -0800
Cc: "'Tupshin Harper'" <tupshin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:14:27 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm in the situation Tupshin Harper describes in
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10771264.

We have a production environment where Xen is an excellent fit, but we want
to run Windows Server 2003 under a VM on our Debian host.

I saw Ian Pratt's response
(http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=10771267) and a slide
(http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~walpole/class/cs533/slides/152.ppt#269,11,Xen and
the CPU) indicating the rings of x86 privilege. Is there a definitive answer
on having VMWare (and Windows) co-exist with Xen domains? Could this answer
be posted in the FAQ for Xen along with reference material?

I also noticed http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2004/HPL-2004-207R1.pdf
which would have me use a normal host, then set up a Windows VM peer in
VMWare with a Xen machine in VMWare. If we have to handle VMWare + Xen this
way, it kinda sucks the value right out of Xen. The best solution we could
hope is to wipe our nice Debian install for Windows 2003 as the base, then
have Xen within a single VMWare. A difficult proposition with 1.2 TB online
under Reiserfs already.

Comments? Ideas? Suggestions? Directions?

--Romaq