Re: [Xen-devel] AGP problems with 2.0.5

On 14 Mar 2005, at 12:26, Kurt Garloff wrote:

I think the correct fix is to extend the Linux interface with something
like a io_remap_pfn_range, or an extra 'is_ram' flag to
remap_pfn_range. We then already have (almost) an implementation -- we
just recycle io_remap_page_range. There are a lot of callers of
remap_pfn_range, each would need auditing, and we'd have to try to get
the patch checked in even though it only makes sense when running on
Xen.

Shouldn't we just use the __sparc__ code path in drm_vm.c:678, then ?

Well that would work short-term, but it doesn't generalise to all the other drivers now using remap_pfn_range. Surely the maintainers would appreciate an io_remap_ call that just does the right thing on all architectures?

Sounds suitable as a short-term vendor/distro patch or proof-of-concept. But we should think about cooking up our own, cleaner, patch to push upstream.

In fact there are a bunch of generic-code patches in our sparse tree that I think we should actually have as patches we apply to our pristine tree at build time. Then we can have the aim of actively pushing each of those single-purpose patches upstream and always strive to get the patches subdir emptied.

Comments?

 -- Keir