RE: [Xen-devel] Scheduler portability problem

To: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Scheduler portability problem
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:28:51 +0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 08:30:09 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi, Dan,
        Your finding is real problem for porting XEN to archs like IA64
which has a large set of register files. Current XEN/x86 adopts
so-called continuation mechanism to provide only one HV stack per LP,
for all domains running on that LP. A simple flow when context switch
can be:

1. Scheduler picks a new domain
2. In switch_to:
        - Save domain context (xen_regs) to prev's
thread_struct.execution_context_t
        - Load next's domain context to bottom of stack (xen_regs)
3. Then schedule_tail simply does assembly tricks like you said, to
reset stack pointer to xen_regs area and resume to new domain

        This flow is elegant regarding to small context of x86, which
saves time for normal function exits since the stack content is known to
be useless on this continuation mechanism. Also by this way, two
parameters are enough for switch_to, since no stack switch happens at
all.

        Say, IA64 has a large set of register files (n Kbytes) and
especially, a hardware engine to manage stack registers. Then both
performance and implementation difficulty are dramatically influenced if
we still adopt same mechanism. So, yes, we need to find a generic way to
allow both mechanisms (per-LP stack and per-domain stack) co-exist. A
quick code surf seems to indicate the first and major blocker is the BUG
in the end of __enter_scheduler. If we can take that check into arch
specific scheduler_tail, saying let different arch to decide whether it
wants a normal return, per-domain stacks may start to work if fortunate
enough. As long as the execution path follows normal function return
path to assembly stub, ia64_switch_to you ported from IPF linux can work
smoothly. However, you are right, we need comments from broader
developers to see what on earth an complete solution should be. :)

Thanks,
Kevin
Magenheimer, Dan (HP