Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal for init/kexec/hotplug format for Xen

To: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Proposal for init/kexec/hotplug format for Xen
From: Harry Butterworth <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:55:01 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:55:00 +0000
References: <1109451460.32219.11.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <68d3daa4e95f4ba6740c6c0ffd3f67b8@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <4221E676.5000008@xxxxxxxxxx> <d754778cdc1fd4ef6d8d23cb014954a9@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <4221ED32.2010407@xxxxxxxxxx> <260c30236e5ef2b632b85e5ebaebcb6b@xxxxxxxxxxxx> <4221F26B.2030306@xxxxxxxxxx> <1109521867.4385.22.camel@localhost> <4221F87D.2040809@xxxxxxxxxx> <1109527920.9623.57.camel@localhost> <4222107A.1010902@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 12:24 -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> Harry Butterworth wrote:
>
> >>We could begin work today on libxen-hcall and libxen-idc while we work
> >>out what the store is going to like and how the OF structure is going to
> >>work.  Thoughts?
> >>

> >The most difficult aspect of the inter-domain communication API to
> >express from the point of view of forwards compatibility with a
> >fault-tolerant implementation is that, in a fault-tolerant system with
> >different levels of fault tolerance, some domains will come and go
> >whilst others persist across failures.

When I said "from the point of view of forwards compatibility with a
fault-tolerant implementation" above I meant from the point of view of
forwards compatibility with a fault-tolerant _domain_ implementation.

> I'm not sure fault-tolerance has to be implemented at the IDC primative
> level.  That seems like something that's implemented at a slightly
> higher-level in the stack.

Right, the IDC primitives themselves do not have to be fault tolerant...

> It would probably be better to expect to implement a separate set of
> fault tolerant devices and just design the non-tolerant devices for
> maximum code-reuse.

...the trick is to implement a set of IDC primitives that A) can be used
as the underlying communication mechanism to implement fault tolerant
domains by, for example, using the replicated state machine approach to
create a fault-tolerant domain out of a set of base domains and B) are
then compatible with providing _exactly_ _the_ _same_ _API_ inside the
fault-tolerant domain such that the software running inside the FT
domain can be the same software that would run in a base domain.

With this approach, you only have to implement fault-tolerance once and
from then on you get it for free wherever you want it and you get
_maximum_ code reuse because you can reuse all of your non-fault
tolerant code as fault-tolerant code simply by running it unchanged but
in a fault-tolerant domain.

Do not underestimate the importance of this.

--
Harry Butterworth <harry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>