Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and VMware

To: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and VMware
From: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:51:35 -0700 (MST)
Cc: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>, Tom Hibbert <tom@xxxxxxxxx>, Tim Freeman <tfreeman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:52:44 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Steven Hand wrote:

> That said, they may be solving the /wrong/ problem.

I'm not so sure that is correct. I've talked to people in the commercial
world and learned some interesting things. A big use of vmware and citrix
is to run windows under windows. Why? Because nobody trusts windows or
windows users. They run citrix (and I guess vmware in other places) 4 or 5
instances at a time under NT server and use KVMs. This one person I talked
to ran thousands of desktops this way.

I'm guessing based on some of my conversations that the big end use of
vmware is windows under windows. But I could be totally wrong.

ron