Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and Vanderpool

To: dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen and Vanderpool
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:24:00 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:25:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Wednesday 16 February 2005 03:39 am, Steven Hand wrote:
> >
> > >Has any testing of Xen using Vanderpool Technology been done?
> >
> > Yes - works just fine. We can currently support an unmodified
> > Linux kernel with fully virtualized devices, etc.
> >
> > YMMV getting your hands on a VT-x box though - they're not
> > widely available just yet.
>
> This is encouraging! Is AMD implementing Vanderpool or something else?

AMD has announced a technology called Pacifica which is likely to
be similar to VT (i.e. it's targeted at the same space), but there
are no public documents or release timescales as yet. I think they
had alluded to Q405 at some point, and yesterday at LinuxWorld some
reports claim Q205, but don't think there's an "official" release
date.

cheers,

S.