Re: [Xen-devel] console driver - How domain0 processes console messages

To: Richard <judicator3@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] console driver - How domain0 processes console messages ?
From: Andrew Warfield <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:35:39 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:38:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Whenever I try to output to the console of mini-os I get some garbage
> (non ascii characters). In XenoLinux, the communication ring is found
> at 2048 bytes offset from the
> shared_info structure. I am refering to the following macro found in ctrl_if.c

> #define get_ctrl_if() ((control_if_t *)((char *)HYPERVISOR_shared_info +
> 2048))
>
> Are the control rings found at the same location if I boot something
> else than Linux like for example the mini-os ? I am concern that my
> console driver in mini-os is sending event notification to domain0 but
> is however not writing the messages in the correct location of the
> communication ring and that is why I am getting some  bogus output on
> my console.

The domain build tools tell a gues linux where its shared_info page is
at start of day.  Take a look at
tools/libxc/xc_linux_build.c:xc_linux_build() to see this in action --
the code doeas a GETDOMAININFO hypercall to find out the location of
the shared page for the newly created comain, and then passes this on
the start_info page to the new linux VM.  The startup code is all
called from tools/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py, which is a bit
convoluted.  Anthony's c-based tools may be an easier reference for
what actually happens during domain startup -- it's effectively just a
series of calls to libxc.

> Next, I am going to look at tools/python/xen/lowlevel/xu/xu.c to see
> if domain0 is  receiving the actual data being sent from mini-os
> console driver.

Sounds like a plan.  I'd thing that you should be able to pull most of
the control ring interaction code straight out of the console driver.

good luck!
a.