Re: [Xen-devel] Re: mini-os for Xen2

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: mini-os for Xen2
From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:39:07 -0800
Cc: Rick <judicator3@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 02:41:15 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
xm gives the world's most unhelpful error messages. You may well find
a more useful message hidden away in /var/log/xend[-debug].log as
comes straight from the domain builder in libxc.

My guess woul dbe that you do not have a '__xen_guest' section in your
Elf image. Look at the top of
linux-2.6.10-xen-sparse/arch/xen/i386/kernel/head.S for an example of
how to specify one.

The new vm-tools that were just announced will probably be easier to use for this kind of debugging than xn/xend. Also, I used to re-create the HYPERVISOR_console_write syscall, and configure Xen to allow unpriv domains to write to the serial console. I think the new HYPERVISOR_console_io syscall can be convinced to do the same thing.

In my xen tarball at http://www.diku.dk/~jacobg/self-migration/ you can find the source of 'mstrap' which is very much like mini-os, but perhaps a little more up to date. The network driver is not working in Xen2, but the elf-image should at least load using the recent tools.

Jacob