Re: [Xen-devel] Re: xen 2.0.x and debian

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Travis Newman wrote:

> > Ok, I've uploaded to debian's experimental tree.  This is to make certain it
> > doesn't blow up when people install it(even tho I'm using it locally).
> >
> > The main problem with it is that it doesn't do upgrades from 1.2 at all.
> >
> > All the above TODO items are solved, except that the xendomains init script
> > doesn't implement force-reload.
> >
> > If you want to fetch the packages before they are processed thru debian's
> > NEW
> > archive, then visit http://people.debian.org/~doogie/packages/.  The debs,
> > and
> > source archives, are both there.
>
> Are there any plans for Xen kernel debs? That's where I was having the
> problems-- the packages installed fine but the kernel still didn't work
> as expected.
> Mark Williamson and I have been writing back and forth for about a week
> trying to figure out WHY it's not working, so if you have any insight
> you might be able to provide, I can send you the thread or start cc'ing
> you if you want. Mark mentioned the possibility of getting a Debian guru
> in on the conversation.

No, there are no plans to make actual xen kernel image debs at this time.

One, there's no way I can possible handle all the various configuration
options.  Someone will always want it different.

Two, if I produce actual kernel images, then anytime a security problem is
found in the linux kernel, xen would have to be recompiled by the security
team.  I do not want to place additional load on them.

The patch s/b good enough.

> Or if there are any specific Debian instructions for compiling the xen0
> kernel that you could provide, that might help a lot!

Apply the patch, either by hand, or by using make-kpkg to automatically apply
it.

> The BASIC problems were that I couldn't get a fat partition on hdb to
> mount, and alsa wouldn't work. But it goes a bit deeper than that, and
> I'll explain more if you decide you have any time and would like to help.

That has nothing specific to do with debian.  The only change I do from
upstream, is I don't fetch pristine source, but fetch the debian patched
kernel source, then unapply the debian patch, to get pristine.  I then make
that tree available as pristine-linux-2.6.10, to fake out the top-level
Makefile, then call linux-2.6.10-xen.patch.