Re: [Xen-devel] [Fwd: Installing from distribution CDs]

To: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] [Fwd: Installing from distribution CDs]
From: Christian Limpach <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 04:07:44 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jared Rhine <jared@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:15:04 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:16:36 -0600, Anthony Liguori
<anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>        ROOT_DEV = MKDEV(RAMDISK_MAJOR,0);
> /*old_decode_dev(ORIG_ROOT_DEV);*/
>
> This defaults the root device to /dev/ram0 instead of trying to get it
> from the boot loader.

Yes.  The problem with getting it from the boot loader is that, as far
as the domain is concerned, there is no boot loader.  ORIG_ROOT_DEV
points into the boot_params data which is probably initialized to 0 --
the original code initializes ROOT_DEV to 0.

It was changed to point to the ramdisk in this revision:
1.19 04/09/14 23:07:32+01:00 kaf24@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 24 23 1/1/1470
    Use a better dummy rootdev in Linux 2.6, so we don't auto-dhcp
    when we shouldn't (David Becker).

The patch was sent to the mailinglist by David Becker on September 14
in message <20040914171358.GJ921@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It's not entirely obvious to me why/how this fails in rd_load_image
because I don't use initrds and ramdisks much and don't know what the
expected bahaviour is.  Why does it work better with ROOT_DEV == 0?  I
would expect the open(from,...) to fail or does ROOT_DEV get set to
some other default value in this case?

   christian