Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 4/5] xen: netback mac selection

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:08:38AM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > The vif script only runs in dom0 though, not in any other netback
> > domains you might have set up :)  I'm actually thinking of stopping
> > using the vif script even in dom0 now, and just using the standard
> > network hotplug system instead.
>
> I'd be interested to hear how you intend to hook into the hotplug
> system.

Already doing it in my test netback domain. It "just works", without
any real work. When the interface is registered by the driver, hotplug
gets called with the information, which then calls the hotplug network
script. Now, on debian-based systems that then calls ifup for the interface
with "=hotplug" added, which leads to the hotplug mapping stanza if it's
defined. In my test domain i have the following:

-----

mapping hotplug
    script /usr/local/sbin/get-mac-address
    map fe:ff:ff:01:01:ff subnet6
    map fe:ff:ff:01:02:ff subnet7

iface subnet6 inet static
        address 192.168.6.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.6.0
        broadcast 192.168.6.255

iface subnet7 inet static
        address 192.168.7.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.7.0
        broadcast 192.168.7.255

-----

> Our intention was that it should be possible to have driver domains with
> very small root filesystem -- just an initrd. We discussed a mechanism
> whereby a shell script to run would be passed over a secondary console
> connection and executed in the driver domain.

Well, the standard hotplug system is just all shell scripts anyway, not
particularly big or anything. And it's completely replaceable; you can
put anything there you care to write.

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org