[Xen-devel] [Noobie] SCSI Driver under VMWare

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] [Noobie] SCSI Driver under VMWare
From: Fred Whipple <fwhipple@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:21:11 -0500
Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:22:41 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Disclaimer:  I'm entirely new to Xen, and am just testing it out for
the first time with serious desire to consolidate servers.  I have
searched the ~2 months of archives of this list I have in GMail ;-)
and the online list archive search seems broken :-(  Also, I have not
compiled a kernel in a couple years...

All that out of the way, I ran into a hitch while installing Xen
(2.0.3) for the first time -- that being that it can't seemingly see
my root partition.  The environment is VMWare 5 (Beta) for Windows and
RHEL 4 (Beta; actually CentOS 4.0 Beta).  Xen seems like it started to
work, but when it tried to mount the virtual SCSI drive (under virtual
LSI SCSI card) it couldn't find it.

I went into the kernel source (2.6.10) that the install script copied
into the Xen source directory and per instructions went to add modular
SCSI support for the virtual SCSI card.  Unfortunately I did not find
anything relevant under SCSI Low Level Drivers.  Curious, I looked at
the same menu options under the 2.6.9 kernel source that comes with
RHEL/CentOS, and there was a plethora of options.

I've read several folks discussing SCSI cards on this list, so I have
to think that Xen can boot from a SCSI disk.  Is it the case that
every device driver must be modified for use with Xen and the LSI
driver just hasn't been modified yet?  Or did I screw up elsewhere?

TIA,

    -Fred