Re: [Xen-devel] Xen as a kernel module

To: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen as a kernel module
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:55:00 +0000
Cc: "Neugebauer, Rolf" <rolf.neugebauer@xxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:56:09 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I would worry about MPI-style jobs,
> where you need both low latency and high bandwidth networking, and where
> you are likely to fully utilize the TLBs as well. I cannot see how
> performance does not get hurt in this situation, when Xen needs to flush
> the TLB for every interrupt, or alternatively needs to bundle
> interrupts, thus increasing latency.

This kind of workload needs measuring to find out just how bad things
are -- it's interesting if only because it will certainly represent a
worst case scenario for us. Ultimately this should be fixed with
smarter NICs. I am optimistic suitable support may end up in high-end
NICs: manufacturers are always looking at how to differentiate their
product, and we have a few contacts we would like to follow up when we
have more time. :-)

 -- Keir