[Xen-devel] xenU's on separate subnets

To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] xenU's on separate subnets
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:28:49 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:29:13 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've currently run into the situation where Xen in bridged mode will
only work for IP's on the same subnet as domain0.  Routed mode isn't an
option as IP's on the same subnet will be in use by other
virtual/physical servers.  Currently the router is configured to handle
about a dozen subnet's and it aliases an IP to it's interface for use as
a default gateway for LAN devices.

If I configure the xenU's on the same subnet as domain0 things work fine
so I am sure the bridge config is correct.  To make sure though I did
make Xend use my bridge setup that works for my User Mode Linux VM's.

1) Using Linux bridging I am able to accomplish what I want using User
Mode Linux.  As far as I can tell UML is not doing anything special, the
interface options are identical once the interfaces are created.  I have
tried putting the vif interfaces into promiscuous mode.

Why is this possible under UML and not Xen when both use Linux kernel
bridging?

2) Does anyone have ideas for possible solutions?  I've tried various
methods of iptables/nat and proxy_arp setups and have been unable to get
this to work.  I know I could do a 1-to-1 mapping of external IP's to an
internal subnet using nat, but that would be very ugly and not something
I think of as a workable solution.  Ideally i'd like to continue using
bridging.

--
Thanks,
Matt