[Xen-devel] (no subject)

I spent last night and this morning splitting the single patch I had, into 13
separate patches.  Most are build system tweaks(DESTDIR, parallel make,
INSTALL, proper target depends).  Also, proper PIC support in the libs, and a
few other things.

Below is the meta-info that my patch oriented build system maintains.  I'll be
sending each patch as a separate mail(I apologize for the mail flood ahead of
time).

ps: I decided to split out these patches, and send upstream, before uploading
    my deb packages.  If possible, I'd like to have these applied, and a new
    version rolled based on them.

pps: These are generated against 2.0.3.

===
Name: proper-depends.patch
 A rule in make should produce only what it's target allows.  When it
 produces side-effects, things like ctrl-c and parallellism break it
 oddly.
DiffStat:
 xen/Makefile              |    9 +++++----
 xen/arch/x86/Makefile     |   14 ++++++++++----
 xen/common/Makefile       |    3 ++-
 xen/drivers/acpi/Makefile |    3 ++-
 xen/drivers/char/Makefile |    3 ++-
 xen/drivers/pci/Makefile  |    3 ++-

Name: pic-lib.patch
 Libraries have 2 methods of being compiled; a .so must contain non-pic
 objects, while the .a can contain standard objects.
DiffStat:
 tools/libxc/Makefile    |   34 +++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 tools/libxutil/Makefile |   11 ++++++++---

Name: doc-make-vars.patch
 It's generally standard to call complex programs indirectly thru make
 variables.  This allows them to be replaced easily with alternative
 versions, without editting each makefile.
 .
 Additionally, this patch makes use of $(pkgdocdir) in docs/Makefile.
DiffStat:
 docs/Makefile |   53 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------------------

Name: INSTALL.patch
Depends: proper-depends.patch, pic-lib.patch, doc-make-vars.patch
 Use install(by way of INSTALL variables) to create directories, install
 programs, and install data files.
DiffStat:
 Makefile                     |   22 +++++++++++++---------
 docs/Makefile                |   10 ++++++----
 tools/examples/Makefile      |   20 ++++++++++++--------
 tools/libxc/Makefile         |   12 ++++++++----
 tools/libxutil/Makefile      |    9 +++++++--
 tools/misc/Makefile          |   11 +++++++----
 tools/misc/miniterm/Makefile |    7 +++++--
 tools/sv/Makefile            |   18 ++++++++++--------
 tools/xentrace/Makefile      |   16 ++++++++++------
 tools/xfrd/Makefile          |    8 ++++++--
 xen/Makefile                 |   17 ++++++++++-------

Name: bash-for-mkbuildtree.patch
DiffStat:
 linux-2.4.28-xen-sparse/mkbuildtree |    2 +-
 linux-2.6.10-xen-sparse/mkbuildtree |    2 +-
 netbsd-2.0-xen-sparse/mkbuildtree   |    2 +-

Name: parallel-make.patch
Depends: INSTALL.patch, proper-depends.patch
 Using shell for loops doesn't allow make to run it the most parallel
 modes.  Use patsubst/addsuffix tricks to make this work.
DiffStat:
 Makefile     |   60 +++++++++++++++++++++++------------------------------------
 xen/Makefile |    9 +++-----

Name: init-script-force-reload.patch
 Debian policy requires init scripts to implement force-reload.  So, alias
 that to restart.
DiffStat:
 tools/examples/init.d/xend |    4 ++--

Name: fhs-paths.patch
Depends: INSTALL.patch
DiffStat:
 tools/python/xen/sv/params.py     |    4 ++--
 tools/python/xen/xend/XendRoot.py |    2 +-
 tools/sv/Makefile                 |    2 +-

Name: linux-2.4-modules.patch
 There was a complaint on the mailing list about linux 2.6 not building
 if module support was disabled; a patch was done to fix this.  However,
 the same change was not done to the 2.4 files.
DiffStat:
 buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.4-xen0 |    6 ++++--
 buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.4-xenU |    6 ++++--

Name: python-path.patch
 There is no python2 in debian.  Instead, use python.
DiffStat:
 tools/python/xen/xend/server/SrvServer.py |    2 +-
 tools/python/xen/xend/sxp.py              |    2 +-

Name: prefix-DESTDIR.patch
Depends: INSTALL.patch, doc-make-vars.patch, fhs-paths.patch,
linux-2.4-modules.patch, parallel-make.patch, pic-lib.patch,
proper-depends.patch
 Standard makefiles always attempt to install to the root(/).  Setting
 DESTDIR is the normal way to install to an alternative location.
 .
 Setting prefix has the possibility of breaking programs, as the prefix
 may have been embedded inside a compiled binary.
DiffStat:
 Makefile                       |   11 ++++++-----
 buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.4-xen0 |    4 ++--
 buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.4-xenU |    4 ++--
 buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.6-xen0 |    4 ++--
 buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.6-xenU |    4 ++--
 docs/Makefile                  |   13 +++++++------
 tools/examples/Makefile        |   20 ++++++++++----------
 tools/libxc/Makefile           |   12 ++++++------
 tools/libxutil/Makefile        |    8 ++++----
 tools/misc/Makefile            |    8 ++++----
 tools/misc/miniterm/Makefile   |    4 ++--
 tools/python/Makefile          |    6 ++----
 tools/sv/Makefile              |   14 +++++++-------
 tools/xentrace/Makefile        |   12 ++++++------
 tools/xfrd/Makefile            |    4 ++--
 xen/Makefile                   |   20 ++++++++++----------

Name: sane-make-syntax.patch
Depends: INSTALL.patch, parallel-make.patch, prefix-DESTDIR.patch
 Fix use of `pwd`, &&, and || true.  Also, remove ().
DiffStat:
 Makefile       |   16 ++++++++--------
 tools/Makefile |    2 +-

Name: xen-banner.patch
Depends: INSTALL.patch, parallel-make.patch, prefix-DESTDIR.patch,
proper-depends.patch
 Split banner.h, to make it easier to edit, and more properly fit in with
 normal build systems.
 .
 Also, inline the rules to actually build figlet.
DiffStat:
 xen/include/xen/banner.h     |   12 ++++++++++
 xen/include/xen/compile.h.in |   13 +++++++++++