Re: [Xen-devel] XEN migration architecture question

B.G. Bruce wrote:
Interesting ....
So, what are you using in DOM0 as a watchdog to make sure all the proper
domU domains are up and functional?  Or how do you go about this?

My setup is nontypical, in that I do not allow much remote administration, everything happens within the unprivileged domains. Basically, all you can do is bootstrap or migrate a domain into an existing domU, and you need to keep feeding it 'tokens' for it to stay alive, or it will be destroyed.

My payment model is like for a Laundromat; you feed it tokens, it solves your problem. If you don't like the laundromat (if it is too slow or too expensive), you move your laundry to a different one and start feeding that one your tokens instead. You don't have to call some superuser-person to move the laundry for you.

All bootstrap and migration, apart from the initial part where an almost empty VM gets instantiated, happens inside domUs. I have modified Linux to be self-migrating, so I do not use the standard Xen migration mechanism.

If you have hundreds or thousands of machines, you do not wish to periodically log in to each one's dom0 to see if things are going as expected. If a VM goes missing, you restart the VM or you restore it from a checkpoint, both of which can be handled remotely.

I do have some network-facing code in dom0, but that is only around 100 lines of C, mostly related to answering ARP and ICMP Echo requests. The rest (e.g. TCP/IP) runs within my domUs.

More info at
http://www.diku.dk/~jacobg/self-migration/

Jacob