Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel crash

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel crash
From: Tobias Hunger <tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:00:18 +0100
Cc: Derrik Pates <demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:01:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday 20 January 2005 09:56, Keir Fraser wrote:
> Yes, that looks to be a "feature" of the drivers/char/Kconfig file,
> which we only parse for configurations that are to work with
> hardware-access privileges.

Yes, I found that, too.

> So that probably ties up tty0, but you should still be able to
> register xencons as ttyS0 unless you have accidentally included serial
> drivers in your kernel config:
>  "xencons=ttyS console=ttyS0"

I tried that several times: no output whatsoever! I can not see anything wrt.
serial ports in my config, so there shouldn't be drivers for those.

Here is a list of differences between my kernel configuration and the one from
the default xenU kernel. Maybe I am doing something wrong... I am using a
heavily patched Kconfig setup by now, so do not expect to be able to get a
similar config by running *config:-) I use a dash to mark options that are
not listed in one configuration.

         xenU: Mine:
CONFIG_XEN       y  y
CONFIG_ARCH_XEN     y  y
CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ     y  y

CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST   not set not set
CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS   not set y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND   not set not set
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND  not set y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND  y  y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND  y  not set
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_[...]_TRANS[...] not set  -
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP   not set not set
CONFIG_XEN_WRITABLE_PAGETABLES y  y
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES   y  y
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB y  y
CONFIG_X86       y  y
CONFIG_X86_64      not set not set

I have "hotplug" and "kobject uevents" as well as "loadable modules" disabled,
the X86 Processor Configuration is mostly identical (I use Athlon, xenU
assumes a P IV).

Bus options:
CONFIG_PCI       -  y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT     -  y

Kernel debugging/Blockdevices/SCSI: I have kernel debugging, loop and initrd
disabled and SD missing as well.

Networking is mostly identical with my kernel including some drivers and
bridging in addition to what xenU has.

My kernel has fewer filesystems (only the one it needs to read its root FS)
and crypto functionality disabled.

Everything else is identical (with my config having comments for all the
sections skipped in the xenU kernel configuration).

Did I remove too much? Adding XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND does not change anything by
the way. I can provide you with my .config file if someone is interested.

--
Gruss,
Tobias

Tobias Hunger           The box said: 'Windows 95 or better'
tobias@xxxxxxxxxxx                     So I installed Linux.