[Xen-devel] Xen 2.0.1 / Xenolinux 2.6.9+drbd+heartbeat odd behaviour sta

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xen 2.0.1 / Xenolinux 2.6.9+drbd+heartbeat odd behaviour starting domU
From: "Tom Hibbert" <tom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:24:53 +1300
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:38:34 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all

I'm running a Debian Sarge dom0 on an IBM eSeries x330 server. When I
fire upo the domU some interesting and inexplicable stuff
is happening. I dont get any boot messages until getty is started, and
networking is not being started randomly. It reports that the networking
has already been started, however the interfaces are not configured when
I log in. Usually stopping and restarting the domU fixes this problem,
however I made a temporary work around by creating a script that reruns
the network setup at s99 if it detects the interfaces were not
configured the first time networking was started.

I have run this exact domU issue on another dom0, a whitebox pentium 4,
and it always starts correctly and displays boot messages right from the
get go. This is with the same xen packages and the same configuration as
the IBM server. The differences in configuration are hardware related:
the IBM has a ServerWorks raid5  and the whitebox server has software
Raid1 on intel ICH6 SATA disks.

I should probably also mention that both servers are tied together using
heartbeat and replicate the domU to each other using drbd. I was
periodically getting late local heartbeats but this appears to have been
eliminated after I added a second network interface for heartbeat to
communicate over. Unless I am running into some kind of hardware
dependant scheduler bug I cant see what could be causing this
misbehavior only on the IBM... thats just sketchy.

Once I've ironed out this glitch I'll publish a quick and dirty
foundation HOWTO on how to set up failover clustering using xen and
drbd, which aside from this odd glitch work perfectly together.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Tom