Re: [Xen-devel] What is domain creation flow-chart in XEND

To: Nauzad Sadry <nauzad@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] What is domain creation flow-chart in XEND
From: Anthony Liguori <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 17:49:01 -0600
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 00:08:45 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I can answer some of this. This is what I've been able to figure out. It could be wrong.

Nauzad Sadry wrote:

Hello all

I am a newbie in Python & have been trying to understand the set of
operations performed by XEND in order to create a new domain. Can
someone answer the following questions about domain creation

1. The set of Hypercalls requests made by XEND to XEN thru the privcmd driver
It's a two step process. First the raw domain is created, then Linux (or something else) is loaded. For the first part, it's actually quite simple. Xend issues a DOM0_CREATEDOMAIN hypercall. That will create an empty domain with a certain amount of CPUs and visible memory.

The next part is more complicated. For Linux, it's all pretty much done in the xc_linux_build() function (tools/libxc/xc_linux_build.c). This code is straight foreword.

2. What event channels get created & what entities are involved in
setting up the event channels.
From what I can tell, Linux always listens on event channel 1. So, Xend just binds a local port to the domains port 1. After binding, it maps a shared memory region and works on a ring queue passing back and forth control_msg_t structures. This is how virtual devices are setup.

I imagine each device gets it's own channel but I do not know for sure.

3. A control channel is supposed to exist between XEND & the domain.
If XEND listens to one end of the channel, then what entity in the
domain listens to the other end
The domain's kernel I believe.

If someone can point me to some document for more details I would appreciate it
I posted some documentation to xc.h. This is where most of this work is done. I don't know of any documentation. The bulk of all this is done in libxc, xu.c (this binding implements a bunch of functionality), and x2d2 (this isn't used by Xend but is a bit easier to understand than Xend).

Regards,

Thanks

Nauzad