Re: [Xen-devel] Re: nfsroot and brige

> So, tell me: I have a dom0 with eth0 at 10.128.107.187, eth1 at
> 192.168.0.65, and I want to bridge a domU at 192.168.0.66 to the dom0 such
> that domU can go out over my 802.11 network to the world. How will my
> xen-br0 and vif1.0 configuration look? I never got this to work correctly.
> What I really want is domU to DHCP to 192.168.0.1, and I never saw that
> work correctly either. But, if the bridge is really a bridge, that should
> "just happen" (or did on real hardware bridges).

That is a situation where you will want to use routing, not bridging. The
reason is that you would need to have domU on the same network as eth0 in
dom0 (so 10.128.107.0/24 or something like that) in order to use the bridge.
But probably you:
1) cannot request another IP on this network
2) don't want to give direct access to your domU from the outside world.

Instead use routing and iptables (masquerade) as follows:
dom0 eth0 stays with 10.128.107.187
dom0 eth1 stays with 192.168.0.65
dom0 acts as a NAT for unpriviledged domains

domU eth0 gets an IP on 192.168.0.* subnet (I am not quite sure how would be
able to get if from 192.168.0.1 using DHCP. Dynamic IPs would be also cause
some problems with setting up the routing table in dom0).
Routing in domU has 192.168.0.65 as its default gateway.

I've tested it once - it worked with IP addresses statically assigned to domUs
(remember to echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward, took me some time to work
out why dom0 doesn't route anything :) ).

Cheers
Gregor

--
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur --- Anon