Re: [Xen-devel] NPTL/TLS problem in -unstable ?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 03:04:50PM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >Since you mentioned this in another message yesterday, I
> >tried booting xen-unstable with /lib/tls in place today
> >and it worked.  Do you have any local changes in your kernel
> >or a different glibc?
>
> OK, vanilla linux-2.6.10 as compiled from the xen tree
> seems to work, though the first "ldd" after an ldconfig
> seems to segfault ;)

I managed to reproduce this earlier this afternoon (FC3 userland
seems to trigger it reliably, while debian userland doesn't) and
it is now fixed in xen-2.0, xen-2.0-testing and xen-unstable.
The problem was introduced during the upgrade to 2.6.10 where
calls from entry.S to C functions got changed to be fastcall
instead of asmlinkage.  I missed changing one of the functions
(the seg fixup callback one) and when the compiler turned the
final printk in that function into a tail call, it would clobber
the first register on the stack which then caused the instruction
to be re-executed with a random %ebx.

    christian