Re: [Xen-devel] Booting XenoLinux with LOADLIN

To: Kero-Chan <kerochan2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Booting XenoLinux with LOADLIN
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:54:24 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:55:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
> LOADLIN from DOS?

Possibly, though not totally straightforwardly.

Xen expects to be loaded by a "multiboot" standard compliant boot
loader, of which the only common one is Grub. It relies on
multiboot's module feature to enable a domain 0 kernel image (and
potentially an initrd) to be loaded into memory by the boot loader.

You'll need to use Tim Deegan's "mbootpack" which takes a xen
image and linux kernel and packages them up into something that
looks like a single bzImage:
 http://www.tjd.phlegethon.org/software/

Please let us know how you get on.

Ian

> The docs say I need GRUB; and I'm only asking because, for a
> mysterious reason, LILO, GRUB, and the NetBSD bootloader just don't
> see my hard disk and cannot boot it. However, the FreeBSD, DOS,
> Windows NT, QNX and Plan9 bootloaders work fine, even if the partition
> I boot from is over the 1024th cylinder, etc. So I guess my best bet I
> to try to load a XenoLinux from DOS with LOADLIN...
>
> And why the GRUB requirement?
> Anyway, thanks :)
>
> --
> /Varga Péter/

 -=- MIME -=-
Hi!

Is booting a Linux kernel compiled for the Xen ARCH possible with
LOADLIN from DOS?
The docs say I need GRUB; and I'm only asking because, for a
mysterious reason, LILO, GRUB, and the NetBSD bootloader just don't
see my hard disk and cannot boot it. However, the FreeBSD, DOS,
Windows NT, QNX and Plan9 bootloaders work fine, even if the partition
I boot from is over the 1024th cylinder, etc. So I guess my best bet I
to try to load a XenoLinux from DOS with LOADLIN...

And why the GRUB requirement?
Anyway, thanks :)

--=20
/Varga P=E9ter/