Re: [Xen-devel] intel agp card support 2

To: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] intel agp card support 2
From: Stijn De Weirdt <stijn.deweirdt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:44:00 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:54:35 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> I am pretty sure that what is going on is that the option rom is not
> getting mapped to 0xc0000 as required. I don't see how the MTRR failure
> should really matter in this case. One thing that might matter: Linux
> (without Xen)  probably does not enable BIOS shadowing for the 0xc0000
> region, and probably does not even now use it as RAM. But under Xen, is
> that 0xc0000 set up as RAM or ... I have no idea, I have not looked at
> this part of the linux modes -- a disadvantage to mainly having done Plan
> 9 work so far.
is this what you are talking about? (taken from
http://portolano.cs.washington.edu/projects/hydra/info/tech.html)
More About the Kernel
>From Power-On to Shell prompt
When the power is turned on, the CPU can recognizes only first 8K of
ROM and RAM and the on-chip RAM are not defined. The address of the 8K
of ROM starts from 0x0. First, the reset vector is taken at address
0x04 and the CPU starts executing instructions from that address
specified by reset vector. The bootup
routine(arch/m68knommu/kernel/head.S) initializes the on-chip RAM and
copies the instructions that initialize RAM and ROM to the onchip RAM
and branches to the onchip RAM. After finishing setting up RAM and
ROM, it jumps back to the ROM(now, ROM's starting address is changed
to 0xc00000). Memory blocks are configured as in the table.

is there a way i can do this myself (eg copy data from working system
to file, start xen in runlevel 3, copy data to correct place, run
startx)

> I also vaguely remember you can try to invoke X and tell it to NOT try to
> run the vga bios, have you tried that? there is no real need to run it.
from man i810 on my system:
The  driver  makes use of the video BIOS to program video modes for the
       830M and later.  This limits the video modes that can be used to  those
       provided  by the video BIOS, and to those that will fit into the amount
       of video memory that the video BIOS is aware of.
(mine is the 865G)

> Sorry, I'm doing too much guessing here, I hope this helps.

all small bits help
> ron

stijn