Re: [Xen-devel] general question on how to install a new guest OS withou

To: Xen-Devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] general question on how to install a new guest OS without rebooting
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:05:26 +0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:06:49 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:

It seems that it is mandatory to reboot the platform in order to install a new guest OS, from CDROMs delivered with this OS.
You can install guest OS from CD ? How?

After you've installed a particular distribution once, you 'can' the
pristine install either by tar'ing it up, or using LVM snapshots.
Depending on usage, you may need to do a little tailoring, such as
generating a unique ssh host key.

That's what I've been doing up to now.
Installing a new guest OS for me is now a matter of
creating new LV - mkfs - untar - create xen config - boot.
ssh-keys are generated on first guest OS boot, initial IP information obtained from DHCP.
No reboot of host OS (Domain-0) necessary.

Regards,

Fajar