[Xen-devel] Re: AFS-based VBD backend

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: AFS-based VBD backend
From: johannes@xxxxxxxxxx (Johannes Formann)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:21:29 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:10:17 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve Traugott <stevegt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

The idea sounds nice to me, but I've one question

> I think most of this could be done in python -- the backend driver
> itself might be a relatively thin layer to translate block addressing to
> and from file byte locations, talk to the frontend, and do a periodic
> fsync() on the underlying file to write the changes back to the AFS
> server.

Wouldn't OpenAFS send the complete file to the server when the fsync()
is called and creates lots of network traffik?

And wouldn't be the file/backend locked until the fsync() is done, which
could take some time if you'll have a few GB.

regards Johannes

--
>>Du weisst, das Du Usenetjunkie bist wenn Du    |Autoren: H. Koepke,
>>-keine 11 Tage ohne Netdigest leben moechtest  |C. Peper, C. Garbers
>-Hanno Inbox lesen willst, um noch schneller an die Postings zu kommen.
de.alt.netdigest abbestellst, weil du die Postings eh schon alle kennst.