[Xen-devel] Problems with networking

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Problems with networking
From: "Brett Lentz (Excell Data Corporation)" <a-blentz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:56:17 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:57:31 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm trying to set up Xen, and I can't seem to get the network settings
quite correct.

Here's my setup:

A single P-III machine, with a single Intel e1000 NIC.
The external network is currently providing me an IP via DHCP.

I've installed Fedora Core 2 to the hard drive.
I've cloned the xen-2.0.bk tree.
I made world, and installed.
I rebooted into the Xen-ified kernel(s).

I've set up a couple of debian installations within single files as per
the Xen HOWTO.
I can start up each domain, log in via the console, and verify the
systems are operating correctly.

What I want is:

Debian_domain_0 to act as a web server and send/receive http traffic.
Debian_domain_1 to act as a mail server and send/receive smtp/pop3
traffic.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any documentation regarding how to
direct specific types of traffic to a specific domain with or without
the bridge-utils.

I'm not really sure whether to set an ip for the vif.n interface, or to
set an ip for the virtual NIC within each domain, or both or neither...

I've tried reading through the docs on the bridge-utils site, but they
only seem to make sense in the context of bridging physical devices. I'm
not sure how to grok bridging when one device is physical and others are
virtual.

I'd appreciate a pointer to any existing docs that show how to do this,
if there are any.

--Brett.
Systems Administrator, RHCE.