RE: [Xen-devel] XEN 2.0.1/Xenolinux 2.6.9 domain0 not booting on Debian

To: "Tom Hibbert" <tom@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] XEN 2.0.1/Xenolinux 2.6.9 domain0 not booting on Debian Sarge / P4 Xeon
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:51:03 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:52:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>       However one machine (the big daddy) refuses to boot a 2.6.9
xenolinux kernel. It's > an IBM eSeries xServer x205.

>       I have selected what i think are the appropriate options in
menuconfig but it
> refuses to boot into dom0. By refuse I mean it initialises the
hypervisor, gets to
messages and it
> doesnt even get to Scrubbing memory. This machine boots fine into
2.4.27.

It sounds like its rebooting before it even starts the domain 0 kernel,
so its rather surprising that the kernel version makes a difference.
Perhaps the kernel size has something to do with it?

Are you sure you're capturing all the boot messages? have you got a
serial line attached?

How much memory has your x205 got? I'm wandering whether something is
going disasterously wrong with the e820 parsing. I still can't see why
2.4 vs 2.6 should make any difference. Are you sure you're not using
different Xen versions in the two cases?

ian