Re: [Xen-devel] uClibc

> How do the resources used differ?

I can't put exact numbers on it but using Python will certainly result in a
larger memory footprint being necessary for domain 0.

Python's not an enormously fast language but that doesn't matter too much for
control plane functionality (performance critical stuff is coded in C
already).

> Is Xend currently in python?

The control tools and Xend are written in Python.

The migration / suspend daemon (xfrd) is also coded in C for performance
reasons.

> Is there
> a plan to change this? What has been the reasoning behind developing it
> in python?

The use of Python in Xend enables rapid development - Xend does _a lot_ of
different tasks, so it's good to have as much high-level goodness on your
side as possible.  I don't think we're likely to change language in the near
future.

Compared to the amount of memory spent on other domains, Xend's footprint is
arguably still likely to be pretty small, although obviously it depends
somewhat on the application.

The lowlevel functions for interfacing to Xen are available in a separate C
library so it's possible to hook arbitrary languages into Xen.  It's
certainly possible for Xend to be rewritten in C but it would be a large job
to provide equivalent functionality.

An alternative control daemon called "x2d2" is in the unstable tree (what
about the testing tree?  not sure...) but this is intended for developer
experimentation and is not a full-blown Xend replacement.

Cheers,
Mark