Re: [Xen-devel] xen,bproc and grub

To: "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen,bproc and grub
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:11:38 +0000
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Adam Sulmicki <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:49:27 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Keir Fraser wrote:
>
> > It could certainly be repaired, but all new C3s (based on Nehemia
> > core) have PSE, and more recent ones (stepping 8+) even have a local
> > APIC. The Samuel-2 CPUS are rather weedy -- there is not much point in
> > virtualising them.
> >

> sadly, we hvae 60 of them.
>
> ron

Modify boot.S so that if the P6 check fails, rather than halting, you:
 1. create non-PSE pagetables
 2. remove PGE and PSE from mmu_cr4_features

The first of these is the trickiest -- you need to allocate some
memory from somewhere to populate the initial pagetable, but the
start-of-day memory layout is pretty weird.

Or... buy some remotely up-to-date CPUs. :-)

 -- Keir