[Xen-devel] reiserfs/xfs creation/check problem

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] reiserfs/xfs creation/check problem
From: Vitez Gabor <vitezg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:31:21 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:18:32 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm running xen-2.0 with linux-2.4.27 on my laptop. The domain0
runs a mixed debian  woody/sarge system, the testdomain is running on
debian/sarge. When I try to create a reiserfs filesystem on a block device
in the test domain I get an I/O error.

Creating an XFS filsystem seems to work, except for an unsupported ioctl,
however xfs_check fails.

Creating and checking ext3 filesystems works properly.

/dev/hda2 in the test domain is mapped to a logical volume on domain0.
Running the same commands in domain0 on the LV works fine.

Any ideas?

        thanks:
                Gabor

Output of the programs:

kandur2:~# mkfs.xfs /dev/hda2
meta-data=/dev/hda2              isize=256    agcount=8, agsize=6400 blks
         =                       sectsz=512
data     =                       bsize=4096   blocks=51200, imaxpct=25
         =                       sunit=0      swidth=0 blks, unwritten=1
naming   =version 2              bsize=4096
log      =internal log           bsize=4096   blocks=1200, version=1
         =                       sectsz=512   sunit=0 blks
realtime =none                   extsz=65536  blocks=0, rtextents=0
ioctl 00001261 not supported by XL blkif
kandur2:~# xfs_check /dev/hda2
xfs_check: read failed: Input/output error
xfs_check: data size check failed

kandur2:~# mkfs.reiserfs -f /dev/hda2
mkfs.reiserfs 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

A pair of credits:
Elena Gryaznova performed testing and benchmarking.

Vitaly Fertman wrote  fsck for V3 and  maintains the reiserfsprogs package
now.
He wrote librepair,  userspace plugins repair code, fsck for V4,  and worked
on
developing libreiser4 and userspace plugins with Umka.

Guessing about desired format.. Kernel 2.4.27-xen0 is running.
Format 3.6 with standard journal
Count of blocks on the device: 51200
Number of blocks consumed by mkreiserfs formatting process: 8213
Blocksize: 4096
Hash function used to sort names: "r5"
Journal Size 8193 blocks (first block 18)
Journal Max transaction length 1024
inode generation number: 0
UUID: 92ffa0c0-7577-4a26-86eb-1f651a744640
Initializing journal - 0%....20%....40%....60%....80%....100%

The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem. If you have
bad blocks, we advise you to get a new hard drive, because once you
get one bad block  that the disk  drive internals  cannot hide from
your sight,the chances of getting more are generally said to become
much higher  (precise statistics are unknown to us), and  this disk
drive is probably not expensive enough  for you to you to risk your
time and  data on it.  If you don't want to follow that follow that
advice then  if you have just a few bad blocks,  try writing to the
bad blocks  and see if the drive remaps  the bad blocks (that means
it takes a block  it has  in reserve  and allocates  it for use for
of that block number).  If it cannot remap the block,  use badblock
option (-B) with  reiserfs utils to handle this block correctly.

bread: Cannot read the block (51199): (Input/output error).

Aborted