Re: [Xen-devel] problems compiling xen on a crusoe

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] problems compiling xen on a crusoe
From: A Streetcar Named <desire@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:54:37 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:35:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:04:33 +0000, Keir Fraser
<keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > -nopie fixed the  originally reported error, but I subsequently got
> > other errors that said something like "undefined reference to
> > `__guard'" and "undefined reference to `__stack_smash_handler'".
> > Adding -fno-stack-protector seems to have solved these as well, and
> > I'm now compiling the kernels for the crusoe.
> >
> I've checked in a patch to the unstable tree that will allow to build
> with PIE/SSP-enabled GCC.

Perhaps I spoke too soon.  Both Xen and the kernels compiled without
error, but rebooting into Xen doesn't seem to work.  Grub seems to try
to load the Xen kernel, then the machine spontaneously reboots.  This
seems to be the case even if I try to disable lots of stuff (below,
but the same thing happens even without noht.*)

At this point, my grub.conf has this:

title  Xen 2.0 / XenLinux 2.6.9-xen0-crusoe
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 console=vga noht noacpi
noapic nosmp noreboot ignorebiostables
module (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-xen0-crusoe root=/dev/hda8

Is there any way to see more info on what's happening after grub tries
to load xen.gz?  Perhaps I should try to recompile xen with -nopie and
-fno-stack-protector-all?

...  Okay, this is weird.  -nopie -fno-stack-protector-all seems to
fail as if stack protection was not turned off at all.  So i
recompiled Xen with -nopie -fno-stack-protector
-fno-stack-protector-all (which produced a different binary from just
the previous one without -fno-stack-protector-all), but the same
problem persists with the machine rebooting spontaneously.

Any ideas?