[Xen-devel] domU kernel panic with root fs

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] domU kernel panic with root fs
From: Bjoern Sessler <bjoern.sessler@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:31:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:52:50 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

i installed xen 2.0 on my new installed gentoo box. xen0 works great, but i can't get domU kernel to mount root fs:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda5" or unknown-block(8,5)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,5)

this happens with all root-fs i've tried, ttylinux and my cloned root from Xen0. ttylinux lives now on a hdc partition, the cloned root were lvm2 devices over kernlraid, which worked fine on my old gentoo with xeno-unstable.

fstab on ttylinux also points to sda5, sda5 also exists on Xen0, but also hda1 doesn't work. i also saw similar problem with wrong config of disk= parameter, but doesn't help me.

config looks like following for these parts:

# disk = [ 'phy:vg1/vm101,hda1,w', 'phy:vg1/vm101-swap,hda2,w', 'phy:sdb7,hdc1,r!', 'phy:sdc5,hdc2,r!' ]
disk = [ "file:/machines/backup/ttylinux-xen,sda5,w" ]
#disk = [ 'phy:hdc6,hda1,w' ]

#ip = "192.168.1.101"
#netmask = "255.255.255.0"
#gateway = "192.168.1.1"

# Set root device.
root = "/dev/sda5 ro"

i believe i forgot something in the kernel for XenU but i started with default-config.

Thanks & Regards,
Björn