Re: [Xen-devel] starting X server from xenU

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] starting X server from xenU
From: "Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 00:33:15 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, sai srinivas dharanikota <saisrinu31@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 00:44:02 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The easiest thing to do is to start the Xvnc server and then
> connect in using vnc over the virtual network.
>
> Alternatively, you could log in via ssh (with X forwarding) and
> start an Xnest server.

As Ian says, the best solution is to choose your favourite network display
protocol  and run the server for that.  The screenshots on the Xen homepage
were prepared by configuring the unpriv domains to run VNC X server and then
connecting using the KDE VNC client running in domain 0.  You can also use
straight X forwarding, like you would to connect to another *nix box.

You might also want to check out FreeNX and / or commercial NoMachine X
(FreeNX is currently still in an early state of development) since this also
handles printing and sound elegantly and has excellent performance.

There is one brave soul trying to get a virtual machine to directly control
his second graphics card, which will be pretty cool once it's working (i.e.
have two monitors and keyboards attached to the same machine, controlled by
different VMs).

HTH,
Mark