Re: [Xen-devel] of cows and clones: creating domains as clones of saved

To: Peri Hankey <mpah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] of cows and clones: creating domains as clones of saved state
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:37:35 +0000
Cc: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:41:14 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> You had in fact seen this in an earlier thread: 'crash when domain is
> restored', which was confirmed as occurring by Charles Coffing.  You
> suggested I add instrumentation. I haven't yet had a chance to do that,
> but I'll first try it with xen-unstable.
>
> But I'll be interested to hear whether you think there is any mileage in
> my clone proposal.

This has been on the research roadmap for sometime.

If you want something sooner, an approximation to the same effect
can be achieved without CoW memory, simply using CoW disk and the
existing save/restore/migrate code.

The only extra code that's required is to hook into Xen's current
resume code such that it fakes out e.g. an ACPI resume event so
that user space code gets to run to cope with the change of IP
address etc. You'll need to hack the xend migrate code such that
it doesn't kill the previous domain after migrating it, sets up
the new CoW volume and configures the new domain's devices
appropriately.

Ian