Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to compile Xen-2.0

To: Jerome Brown <guruswami@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to compile Xen-2.0
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:12:31 +0100
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:15:10 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Does stock Linux work when compiled with SSP enabled? Sounds
> > pretty scary to me...
>
> I haven't specifically tried with the -fstack-protector-all flag enabled
> for the stock kernel, and the flag wasn't active when compiling Xen.
> Most of the userland tools on my box are compiled with SSP enabled. What
> about it sounds scary?

Userland tools are one thing, but kernels tend to be rather more
fragile as regards having compilers monkey with their
stack. Also, when the post-call code detects a stack smash,
what's it going to do? I suppose it can execute an illegal
instruction and thus cause a GPF and thus halt.

Ian