RE: [Xen-devel] USB driver

To: "Deepak Manohar" <mjdeepak@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] USB driver
From: "Neugebauer, Rolf" <rolf.neugebauer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:32:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:40:12 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do you have USB support enabled in the XenoLinux kernel for Dom0? I
don't think it is on by default.

> >My USB virtualisation stuff (give guests control of individual USB
ports)
> >is in progess but I keep getting distracted by other things (most
> recently
> >the 2.0 release).
>
>   Can you tell me if this would require you to make modifications to
> both Xen as well the linux kernel or just one of them?

It should only require changes to XenoLinux. Essentially we would give
one VM access to the USB HW and then have faked USB controllers in other
domains talking via some control channel to the USB VM. We'll probably
fake out a virtual USB hub per domain to which we can assign real USB
devices. Basically a similar approach to what we do with PCI.

Rolf

> Deepak

ITManagersJournal