RE: [Xen-devel] single kernel for xen0 & xenU

To: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] single kernel for xen0 & xenU
From: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:22:20 +1000
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:37:21 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> There's no downside to using a xen0 kernel in other domains,
> apart from a bit of extra bloat and a slightly longer boot time.

That being true then, is there any particular reason why we have
separate kernels?

> > Which brings up another point, how often these days is xen changing
such
> > that a xenU domain won't migrate between domains if one is todays
build
> > and another is yesterdays build?
>
> There haven't been any API changes for some time.

That's good to know.

> > My workaround is to put all the xenU modules in the initrd and copy
them
> > out of that on boot into the live filesystem before they are
required.
> > Or at least it will be once I get it going. Is anyone interested in
> > quick howto on that assuming it works well?
>
> That's not a bad solution, though I tend to avoid initrd's as too
> much hassle. Even when I'm using iscsi/gnbd I tend to do the
> setup in dom0 then export the device to the other domain as its
> rootfs. This works fine for migration, providing both dom0's have
> the devices imported.

I'm finding them a bit of hassle too. If I did it your way, it would
forgo a lot of the mess which would be nice!!! The initrd makes the boot
process work well but most of that is only a requirement of
bootstrapping iscsi.

Do you have any opinion on how best to organise it? Currently I have 1
iscsi target (running linux) and 2 xen physical hosts. The target
currently exports lvm logical volumes which the xenU domains see as
physical disks with a partition table etc. This works well within the
domains but accessing them for maintenance outside is a right pain.

How do you import the partitions into Dom0 such that they can be
exported into DomU? Do you run into problems if multiple physical
machines see the same iscsi disks? What if multiple physical machines
see the same volume group?

Thanks

James