[Xen-devel] network root bridge problem

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] network root bridge problem
From: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 22:49:18 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:59:01 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In trying to get dom0 running diskless, i've come across the problem
where for a short time there is no network connectivity and so iscsi is
unreachable. What is the accepted workaround? I can think of the
following:

. do it in initrd. I'd rather not put this sort of setup info in the
initrd though.
. patch brctl to do it in one hit. Looks easy but is it safe? Someone
mentioned that the whole exe may not be loaded at that point and so
could fail to load the rest if it needs to.
. patch the kernel to support an 'add if to bridge + migrate address'
ioctl. This is probably best and looks pretty easy via an extra
parameter to the existing addif ioctl.

What is everyone else doing?

James