RE: [Xen-devel] network hang trigger

To: "Bin Ren" <br260@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] network hang trigger
From: "James Harper" <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:48:19 +1000
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 02:06:57 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This patch makes no difference on my system. Looking at the line numbers
in your patch, your netfront.c appears to be a different vintage to
mine. I applied the patch manually and then rebuilt the xenU kernel and
then booted a domain with it. I haven't touched xen0. Is this the
correct thing to be doing?

Ping >mtu from xenU to xen0 causes the network to hang immediately.
Ping >mtu from xen0 to xenU sometimes causes the network to hang, but
not always. 'ping -i 0.1 -s 6000 <xenU ip>' will mostly cause the hang
in under 30 iterations.

The recovery time appears to be in the order of 60 seconds or so, with a
partial recovery and then relapse at about 30 seconds.

When I was thinking about this problem, I was imagining a deadlock
condition where rapid back to back packets (eg a fragmented icmp packet
from ping or a fragmented udp packet from nfs) was causing a hang until
part of the deadlock timed itself out and the packets started flowing
again. I couldn't see 1 packet causing a buffer exhaustion unless it got
itself into a loop where it kept retrying to send the second fragment
and didn't free the buffer each time, but even then the buffer bug would
be a side effect.

The deadlock would have to be caused in the transmit from xenU to xen0,
and something about the difference between sending a ping and responding
to a ping is the difference between always causing a lockup and only
sometimes causing a lockup.

Maybe we're seeing different manifestations of the same problem?

James

I've