RE: [Xen-devel] can't start domains

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] can't start domains
From: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 19:45:33 +1000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mike.wray@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:47:42 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i just realised that the other difference between the working server and the not working server is that the working one is using 2.4 in dom0 (and the 2.4 version of lvm) while the non-working server is using 2.6 in dom0 (and thus the 2.6 version of lvm).

dom0 is happy to mkswap on /dev/vg00/gaia2-swap, and to mount /dev/vg00/gaia2.

those are symlinks to /dev/mapper, and I have tried mounting the files that the symlink points to without any success, in case that matters.

If I remove the "disk =" line out of the config file, then it creates the domain, which in turn gets as far as wanting to mount the root filesystem, a lot more success.

If I change the disk line to use my swap partition instead (the only other partition I can usefully point to), it still breaks in the same way as when I was using /dev/vg00/gaia2

So for some reason, I have a problem using any block device from xen!!!

Removing the nics from my config didn't make any difference. fwiw, i've always used multiple nics and have never had a problem with them. Maybe i just missed the bad spot.

One mistake I made earlier was having some old 1.2 files lying around from when I tested this server a while ago. I think I have cleaned them up, but apart from the possibility of 2.6 causing a problem, that's my most likely cause. Where should I look for stale files?

thanks

James