Re: [Xen-devel] disks under migration

To: James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] disks under migration
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:40:27 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, David Becker <becker@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:53:37 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Setting up dom0 as the initiator and re-exporting to other domains is
currently more complex to manage under migration: you'd have to work out a way
of getting dom0 on the new host to initiate a connection and do the
re-exporting.  If you have the migrated domain talk directly to the target
then you don't need to explicitly support this...

OTOH, you can boot directly off disks exported by dom0 without requiring an
initrd, which would be useful.

If you choose to use NFS then you can use it (as you probably realise) as a
root filesystem without an initrd.  I believe there's a patch available
somewhere that enables swapping over NFS (Adam Heath's Xen 1.2 Debian packages
included this).

The ideal way to do this sort of stuff would modify the Xend migration tools
to export a domain's block devices over the network when it is moved away from
its "home" node.  Domains would use Xen disk interface but when on the "home"
node, this would be backed directly by storage in dom0, whereas if migrated to
"remote" nodes, the remote dom0 would additionally have to import this block
device over the network, then re-export to the domain.  This would all be
transparent to the domain in question, whilst avoiding network overheads when
on the "home" node.

We've talked about this scenario and it would be interesting to try it out.
We may get round to implementing it for some later release but nobody (AFAIK)
is working on it right now.

HTH,

Mark