Re: [Xen-devel] desperate for help on netwrok of xen

To: "Yan Li" <yan_li00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] desperate for help on netwrok of xen
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:52:27 +0100
Cc: "Steven Hand" <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:52:27 +0100
> e100 works fine in regular linux, and actually I tried in another machine
> with e100, just the same problem.
>
> and the second machine with 2 NICs also works fine in regular machine, using
> eth1.
>
> And here's the msg from dmesg and XendDmesg.py. This is for the machine only
> with e100.

[snip]

> e100: selftest timeout
> e100: Failed to initialize, instance #0

so this looks like the culprit; we have noticed something similar
with the 2.6 xenlinux code and not sure why it happens (only some
times it appears). Anyway can you comment out line 1283 in
linux-2.4.26-xen0/drivers/net/e100/e100_main.c to ignore the failure
and see if it in fact just works?

viz.

static unsigned char __devinit
e100_init(struct e100_private *bdp)
{
    u32 st_timeout = 0;
    u32 st_result = 0;
    e100_sw_init(bdp);

    if (!e100_selftest(bdp, &st_timeout, &st_result)) {
            if (st_timeout) {
            printk(KERN_ERR "e100: selftest timeout\n");
        } else {
            printk(KERN_ERR "e100: selftest failed. Results: %x\n",
                    st_result);
        }
#if 0
        return false;
#endif
    }
    else
        printk(KERN_DEBUG "e100: selftest OK.\n");

    /* read the MAC address from the eprom */
    e100_rd_eaddr(bdp);

We can try to see if we can track it down over here (we have few
e100 cards but should be able to manage).

cheers,

S.