Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6 changesets

To: Nuno Silva <nuno.silva@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6 changesets
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:36:44 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, James Harper <JamesH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:39:46 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
More info on the TLS problems. I've added limited instruction
emulation to Xen so that we can use the TLS libraries that come with
e.g., Redhat 9 and Debian. Basically we take teh general protection
fault, then decode the instruction and interpret it if it's trying to
access a -ve segment offset.

Unfortunately the emulation triggers _a lot_! So it will affect
performance...

However, I intend to add dynamic patching of the unexecutable
instructions to Linux -- it will detect instructions of a particular
limited class, and dynamically create fixup code, and patch the
original execution site to call the fixup code.

I originally thought this would be very hard, but I think I have a way
of doing this in a reasonably simple manner (fingers crossed). This
should get almost every drop of performance back.

 -- Keir