Re: [Xen-devel] Newbie question: Error creating domain

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Newbie question: Error creating domain
From: Fredrik Dahlberg <fdaa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 00:47:57 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 23:50:00 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Pratt wrote:

What you've configured should work just fine. Please can you try
upgrading to the latest repo as I changed some of this code
yesterday (though I don't believe there was ever a bug that would
cause this).

A couple of other things to try:
 * try configuring just one vbd i.e. no swap on hda4
 * what's the output of 'sfdisk -s /dev/hda3'
 * instead of hda3 use 0x0303

Thanks for the clear failure report; I'm sure we can get to the
bottom of this one.

Thanks,
Ian

# I upgraded to the latest xeno-unstable via BitKeeper wich didn't solve the problem.

# Configuring just one vbd didn't help

# Changing physdev:hda3 to physdev:0x0303 solved the problem, any idea why?

# Output from sfdisk -s /dev/hda3
987997

I don't know if this is related, but I have had some problems with Linux/Slackware not detecting the correct BIOS geometry for my old disk. I had to add hda=16383,16,63 as a kernel parameter in my grub configuration. I tried adding the same parameter to my Xen boot entry, but without any success.

# cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
default 0
timeout 10
title=Xen 1.3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 com1=115200,8n1
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro hda=16383,16,63
title=Slackware 10.0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro hda=16383,16,63

Thanks,
Fredrik