[Xen-devel] New to Xen. Eth0 not being detected and Domain0 starts up wi

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] New to Xen. Eth0 not being detected and Domain0 starts up with some difficulty
From: Richard Ta-Min <tamin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:36:44 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: rtamin2@xxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 09:14:59 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I am new to XEN and I am trying to get it to work. I am running into
quite a few problems. I have downloaded the xen 1.2 source code and I
have compiled both xen and xenolinux 2.4.26. I have copied the images
to my boot partition and I have added them to grub.conf. Here is how my
grub.conf looks like:

default=2
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,5)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title Xen / XenoLinux 2.4.26
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=100000
        module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/hda7 ro

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26UML_SKAS3)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26UML_SKAS3 ro root=/dev/hda7
        initrd /initrd-2.4.26UML_SKAS3.img

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.26)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.26 ro root=/dev/hda7
        initrd /initrd-2.4.26.img

I am running into the following problems:

1.) When Xen starts up, it cannot detect my eth0.
    The following message is displayed during Xen start up and before
    xenolinux domain 0 gets started.

    Could not find device eth0: using dummy device
    Device dummy opened and ready for use

    I run RedHat 9 on my machine and I know that my ethernet driver is
    sk98lin.o which comes with kernel-2.4.26. How do I get Xen to load
    that module ?

2.) When Xen has finished loading, it tries to load xenolinux domain 0.
    I get the following message:

    Dom0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000

    Afterwards, it seems that the system freezes. No more messages are
    displayed while Domain 0 loads up. After several minutes of
    what looks like a system freeze, I finally get the login prompt and
    I can login to domain0. I do not get this problem if I use the demo
    CD. When I boot using the demo CD, I can see domain 0 being brought
    up and all the services being started.

Thanks
Richard