Re: [Xen-devel] lvm

To: ron minnich <rminnich@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] lvm
From: Mark Williamson <Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:52:58 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jody Belka <lists-xen@xxxxxxxx>, Wm <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark.Williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:56:30 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Can I create a file and use it as / for a guest OS?

Yes.  You should be able to export anything dom0 can see as a block device to
a guest OS.  You can use losetup to make a file look like a block device in
dom0, then export that block device as / for a guest.

Since you can export *anything* dom0 sees as a block device, you could also
export to domains:
* iSCSI devices imported from the network by an initiator in dom0
* NBD devices imported from the network by dom0
* LVM devices
* MD devices (software raid)
* Ramdisk (although this is arguably rather pointless)
* Any other random weird block device you have in dom0!

Cheers,
Mark